If you have a slow or clogged drain, you may be considering one of those store-bought drain cleaners. We cannot emphasis this enough: do not do this! These drain cleaners may resolve the short term issue (probably not) but they will cause you to have more problems down the road. These are highly corrosive chemicals that will weaken the pipes causing leaks and structural damage over time. If you are using these chemicals in the drain of a bathtub you can add the problem of hard to reach pipes that may require breaking some walls to fix. This is not a problem you want to have to deal with.
There are a few things you can do to help with your clogged or slow drain that does not involve corrosive chemicals.
How to Unclog A Drain With Baking Soda and Vinegar
• Pour a pot of boiling hot water down your drain.
• Dump in about 1/2 c. baking soda. Let that sit for a few minutes.
• Then, pour a mixture of 1 c. vinegar and 1. c very hot water down on top of the baking soda.
• Cover with a drain plug (to keep the reaction down below the drain surface) if you have one and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
• Flush one more time with a pot of boiling water.
This will not help with a severely clogged drain, but if you have a slow drain, it can help move things along.
You can also use the amazing and extremely low tech tool of a drain stick. These plastic stick are no more than a couple of feet long and have little barbs on them which will grab on to and remove hair and other clogs from a drain.
If you have a major stoppage, there may be no home remedy or quick fix. Again, avoid the corrosive chemicals and contact BBC Mechanical. We avoid the chemicals and go with solutions that maintain the integrity of the pipes and systems. We also have the tools in case the clog in deep into the system. We can be reached at 516-809-7222 or through our website.